Byers Green

Byers Green the name is of Old English derivation, from ‘byre’, meaning cow-sheds. The settlement had its origins in a clearing in the woods near Spennymoor where cowsheds where built. From early times the life of the village was based on agriculture, however, this changed with the sinking of Byers Green Colliery in 1836 when it developed into a mining village with a significant increase in population.